13 Must-Know Terms for the Privacy Savvy Digital Marketer
However, with great power comes responsibility, and tags sit at an increasingly busy and often baffling intersection, where technology, customer trust, and business risks all compete for due attention.
As an aid to navigation, we've curated a handy list of the 13 most important terms you need to know to start mastering your tags and their associated risks, rewards, and obligations.
1. Adtech: Advertising technology used to deliver and monitor advertising campaigns, with a focus on delivering efficient, high-ROI ad campaigns.
2. Martech: Marketing technology that provides insights into customers, web traffic, or lead generation campaigns.
6. Opt In: A choice consumers can make to allow their personal information and online activity to be collected by a specific website or company.
7. Opt out: A choice consumers can make to no longer allow their personal information and online activity to be collected by a specific website or company.
8. Personal information: Information that is collected by websites typically includes identifying data such as name, address, phone number.
9. Sensitive data: Data which includes credit card numbers, mobile device ID and IP address, and other confidential data types.
10. Exposure: The measure of potential future loss resulting from a specific activity or event.
11. Data breach: Occurs when an unauthorized party accesses and/or steals a company's customer or internal data.
12. Third-party vendor: A company that interacts with a vendor your company does business with.
13. Compliance: A broad term meaning, in a digital privacy context, that a company or brand website is following (complying with) rules set forth by regulations such as the GDPR in Europe and the California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA) in the US.
We've even turned this glossary into a comprehensive infographic to share.