What’s the right solution for remote content collaboration?
The workplace has suddenly become your place, and your boss’ home office, and your coordinator’s kitchen table. In other words, work-from-home is the new reality for a huge number of employees and enterprises.
One obvious problem everyone is trying to address during the Covid-19 outbreak is communication among a remote workforce. It goes beyond that Zoom call or a Slack chat; it’s about keeping track of projects and keeping tabs on what stage everyone is at. For digital marketing teams, especially content publishers, it’s a significant challenge.
The visibility and collaboration necessary for content management that can be taken for granted when under one roof (at least most of the time). Now it has to be obtained using different tools. Walkarounds and hallway meetings aren’t a possibility for a remote workforce, so what’s the solution?
Remote collaboration in the CMS
Every effective content team has a process in place. It’s the essential point A to point Z of content development and publication: a defined pathway to assign ownership, set checkpoints, manage access, and regulate quality, and control publication.
It’s becoming obvious to global marketers that content processes among remote workforces need to be entirely digital, enabling precise collaboration by contributors and managers in widely scattered locations. For website content development, it’s even more apparent these are ideally delivered using tools embedded in a CMS rather than by using a detached process automation platform. Crownpeak’s Digital Experience Management platform has a feature called Workflow which allows marketing teams to do just that.
What does the Workflow feature accomplish? First of all, it allows managers to easily define a process that can be applied to a website, a business unit, a location, or even a specific type of file or template. Managers can select who can participate and at what stage of the Workflow. This gives contributors and stakeholders clarity on the process during each stage, while overall visibility and decision-making can still fall to the manager.
CMS workflow benefits (and why they matter)
Crownpeak’s best-of-breed CMS workflow functionality gives content publishers some vital benefits that aren’t attainable using manual methods, or by adopting a process platform that isn’t designed around the specific demands of content management for global digital marketing. Why jerry-rig a solution if your CMS platform could already have the right process features baked in?
A basic workflow within the Crownpeak CMS
So what are some of those CMS workflow benefits?
- Control: A content team can have total control of what gets published to every environment, and who has the right to do it.
- Expedited approvals: Content can be securely created within the CMS, then routed through the right gatekeepers for proper review and approval.
- Timeliness: Automatic notifications alert users when they’re required to carry out an assigned task.
- Better collaboration: Each participant knows and is assured their exact role in the process, so there’s no need for lengthy review meetings since team members are able to review the work directly in the CMS.
- Customization: DXM’s Workflows are completely customizable and can be flexibly designed around your needs.
- Process optimization: Over time, workflows can be reviewed and fine-tuned for maximum performance.
A few best practices
DXM makes building a Workflow easy, but it has to be complemented by input and direction from the right people so the Workflow matches your team’s needs.
- Build Workflows with your team: Engage your team by designing and assigning Workflows together, especially as you’re starting out.
- Consider Workflows for different CMS template types: Does a blog post need fewer steps than a new product page? Consider your needs for each type of content your team works with.
- Map internal processes to your Workflows: Non-CMS processes should be integrated with your content Workflows so they all function smoothly together.
- Use the built-in conversation/collaboration tools: Use DXM’s Conversation panel to comment and give guidance as the team moves through the Workflow stages. It’s much more efficient than email chains or other collaboration platforms.
- Integrate DQM into your Workflow: By integrating DQM, our Digital Quality Management tool, you can maintain compliance, improve SEO, spot errors, improve accessibility, and safeguard branding issues before content is published.
The right time for the right tool
Like we said above: If there was ever a right time to adopt a digital experience platform with an intrinsic CMS workflow feature, it’s now. Your entire marketing team will thank you.